Re: {Collins} Bird 82A

You really need to use transformer oil and not "regular" mineral oil.  Transformer oil is formulated to dissipate heat more than regular mineral oil can accomplish.

If you happen to have an electric company "service center", not just a regular office, nearby, you might just "drop by" and ask for a gallon, or so, of transformer oil.  Electric companies purchase transformer oil in 55-gallon, or even larger, containers.  It costs considerably more to handle a small payment for the oil than the oil actually costs.  So, most service centers will just give you some.

Transformer oil is one of the things that most electric companies don't really keep track of because they use so much a relatively small amount (like 10 to 20 gallons), and the accounting cost is more than what the oil costs.  At least that was the situation for the over 10-years that I worked, as an in-house telecommunications consultant, for TXU which was the electric company for almost half of the State of Texas.

 Glen, K9STH 

      From: Richard Solomon via Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 To: Collins Reflector <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 
 Sent: Monday, October 9, 2017 10:46 PM
 Subject: Re: {Collins} Bird 82A
Before you spend money on replacement fluid, first determine if you really need it.

The DL is not completely full of oil, so give it a shake and see how much is in their.

If is seems low, you need to find out where the leak is.

In my experience, they are so well made they never leak (unless someone played

with it). I have never had to top off the oil in any of the DL's I have owned.


This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail (Mailman edition) and MHonArc.