Re: {Collins} Antenna tuner question

Thanks Roy.

We have a 180L-2 in the museum, but it isn't featured on the museum website
(Rockwell Collins Museum) except for a listing in the early products
section.

The 180L-2 and 180K-3 are shown as part of the 18S-4A system.  They are
referred to as antenna tuning units while the 180V was called an antenna
coupler.  18S-4A was a 100 watt 20 channel crystal controlled AM transceiver
with a mechanical filter.  The 18S preceded it and 500 radios were sold to
airlines in 1947.  The 618S was capable of 200 channels and then the 618S-1A
had SSB capability; don't think there were very many of the SSB versions
delivered before the 618T took over.  I think the 180L-2/3 may have been
used with the 618T but since it is a 400 watt rig, wonder how that worked
out.  I have some 490T couplers and they sometimes arc and spark with 400
watts even though they are rated for that power.

Interesting that someone posted the pdf of Maxwell's Reflections.  I was
amused by some of the heated exchanges in QEX magazine between Walter and
Warren Bruene regarding conjugate matching.

Suggest that anyone interested in couplers read my friend Glenn Snider'
Chapter 15 on Antenna Matching in Sabin and Schoenike's  "HF Radio Systems
and Circuits".

73
Jim w0nkn