Re: {Collins} (no subject)

And, by the way, in repairing other folks Collins and replacing electrolytics that have failed, I have not had a lot of collateral damage to repair also.  That is what they make fuses for...  Now, I will say this....I have repaired rigs where some numb-nut has put a 20 amp fuse in a 3 or 5 amps fuse holder trying I guess to keep it going long enough to figure out what is wrong or not having the right size ?? (Boy are there ever better ways than that to diagnose a failure)..  Now, when that has happened - Katy bar the door.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Collins [mailto:collins-bounces+wcarns=austin.rr.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Glen Zook via Collins
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:09 PM
To: jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; W2HX <w2hx@xxxxxxxx>; 'collins' <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Collins} (no subject)

My experiences are that "reforming" a capacitor is only postponing the replacement and for how long, nobody knows.  Most "reformed" capacitors do not last all that long and when they do "give up the ghost" the result is not pretty.  Often, when the capacitor goes bad, it "takes out" a lot more components with it and the chances are that replacing those components is going to be a lot more added expense than replacing the capacitor in the first place.  Basically, pay me a little now or pay met a LOT more later!

Replacement electrolytic capacitors are not expensive when purchased from suppliers such as Mouser.

 Glen, K9STH