Re: {Collins} Packaging/crating of radios

John,

You might check the archives since this has been discussed several times.  That said, here's what I do.

Double box -- that is put the radio in a box, and that box inside another one.

Line the smaller box with Styrofoam about an inch thick.  In other words, surround the radio with Styrofoam -- sides, top, and bottom.  Prior to putting the radio in the smaller box, I generally wrap it with plastic  --  I've used the trash bags if large enough.  You can easily put them in a trash bag, pull the strings tight and then tape it.  Then on the front panel covered by plastic, tape some solid Styrofoam strips that are "higher" than the highest knob.  This will cushion the front of the radio if it slides in transit and will prevent damage to any knobs, meters, switches.

Once the "inner box" is packed, then make sure you have at least two inches or more between the inner box and the outside box.  I usually use heavy bubble wrap as a cushion between the inner box and outer box.  Whatever you use, make sure the inner box is secure and cannot move around.

Tape it up, mark "Fragile" and take to FedEx or UPS and then pray.

Buck
W0LC