Re: {Collins} Difference between 75S-1 and 75S-3

Thanks Glen – Yes, I already fell on my sword – as you can see from the list post – for the filter boo boo.  Got comfused in my olde age I guess.

Re the A version – yes, of course, but I was speaking generally.  The A is just a plain old 75S-3 in fancy clothing.  Same performance and more money.

Bill

From: Glen Zook [mailto:gzook@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2017 10:30 AM
To: Bill Carns <wcarns@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Brian Gieryk' <ke6iyc@xxxxxxx>
Cc: COLLINS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {Collins} Difference between 75S-1 and 75S-3

I slightly disagree!  The 75S-3 is the 2nd best of the 75S- receivers.  The 75S-3A is the best! :>)  Of course, the only difference between the 75S-3 and 75S-3A is the additional crystal deck but having those additional crystals does add to the functionality of the receiver.  The performance of the 75S-3 and 75S-3A is identical.

Every 75S-3 and 75S-3A  came from the factory with a 200 Hz CW filter installed whereas the 75S-1 / 75S-2 had an optional 500 Hz filter that had to be installed after the receiver was purchased (this by decree of Art Collins) by returning the receiver to the factory, having the filter installed at an authorized service center, or the filter, and optional BFO crystal, were available to the end user so that anyone could do the installation.  In the 75S-3B / 75S-3C all CW filters were available at an additional charge.

By the way, the 200 Hz filter is a crystal filter, not a mechanical filter.  Also, there are a very few amateur radio operators who remove the 200 Hz filter from the 75S-3 / 75S-3A when selling one of those receivers.  The filter is then offered individually with the seller "claiming" that the filter was an optional accessory.  This is absolutely false!  Every 75S-3 and 75S-3A receivers came from the factory with the CW filter installed.

I have owned a 75S-3, do own 2-each 75S-1 receivers, and my primary receiver is a 75S-3A.  Also, I work on Collins equipment for others and have seen a fair number of 75S-3B and 75S-3C receivers.  I definitely agree with Bill that the 75S-3 / 75S-3A receivers are better than the 75S-3B / 75S-3C and considerably better than the 75S-1 / 75S-2 receivers.

Glen, K9STH

Website: http://k9sth.net <http://k9sth.net/>

  _____