Re: {Collins} A note to Collins museum- Tubbs fire consumed archives of Hewlett & Packard

Truly sad news.

I was very fortunate to get a summer job right out of high school working at HP.   1966

It was just a job in their sheet metal shop for the summer, however after begging for a job during the school year (books, gas, food) and bringing a few of my Ham Radio projects to the HR Department I actually ended up with an intern position while attending college working in the Frequency & Time Division R&D lab.

One night in 1967 working on my solid state 2M transceiver and applying my success with it to an HP Microwave Frequency Counter, and who should wander by (7PM in the evening) but Bill Hewlett-Packard practicing his MBWA (management by wandering around).  A few minutes explaining what I was doing here in the lab and an amazing conversation with a founder, he continued in his way.

Little did I know then how that chance meeting with Bill Hewlett that evening would soon change my career forever.

At 19 I was probably at that point the youngest new addition to HP Labs.  Before that I didn’t even know what HP Labs was or for that matter that it existed at all.

I would have dearly loved to have read what he wrote in my personnel file. It opened doors for a good deal of an amazing 43 years in the electronics industry.

Losses add up.  It hurts to hear.

Dave WI6R

Sent from my iPhone