From: Collins <collins-bounces+m0ghq=outlook.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jerry O. Stern via Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 10 August 2019 15:22
To: 'Gaylord Hart' <gahart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; 'Steve' <k2fw@xxxxxxxx>; 'Peter Wittenberg Sr' <K2LRC@xxxxxxxxx>; collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: {Collins} Colllins 516F-2 Question

How do you "practically" determine if you are at the right resonant
frequency?  The manual explains the theory of the resonant filter L1-C1 but
the parallel LC resonant frequency for L=8H and C=0.05uF is 251 Hz not
100-120 Hz.   I know that the resonant filter design was selected to offer a
range of choke impedance based on value of L changing with current draw.
But it seems that this is operating way off resonance to begin with.  So
again how does the Op know how close proper resonace?  The B+ also should be
measured under load and the manual also says in Rx no less than 690vdc and
in Tx no more than 970vdc.  Seems like a pretty wide range so IMHO if there
is a HV problem with either a 0.047 or 0.05 cap, I think the supply has
other problems than "resonant frequency" of the resonant filter.

Jerry NY2KW