Re: {Collins} 75A-4 touch up paint.

Mike,

I don’t have a 7A-4 here now, but I assume they have a wrinkle finish, perhaps quite fine grained compared to some earlier radios..  There has been posted (a long time ago now) a method to replicate the wrinkle when you patch small segments of the radio.  Here is my summary from memory:

1) You make a rubber mold of an intact segment of the surface.  Quite possibly, the suggested material is rubber mold making material available at hobby stores.  You make a mold of an area larger than the spot to be repaired, likely with an application of release spray.

2) You carefully clean and prepare the spot, presumably feathering the edges into the surrounding paint.

3) You apply just enough paint of the right color to fill the spot up to the level of the surrounding paint, carefully limiting the new paint to the cleaned patch to be repaired.

4) You press gently the rubber mold against the paint, possibly after a bit of drying time, and possibly with a slight bit or release material such as ArmorAll or the like applied to the mold.

5) Then you wait, perhaps for some time, for the new paint to dry.  (This may be the most difficult part!)

I have not done this: just pulling up from memory what I remember.

Roy

> On May 18, 2019, at 4:32 PM, Michael victor R via Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I'm curious-what do you do about the texture/hammered/krinkle finish? I've
> had poor results when doing small cabinets etc.
>
> MIKE. k9lsh

Roy Morgan
K1LKY since 1958
k1lky68@xxxxxxxxx