Re: {Collins} 75A-4 touch up paint.

No matter what the exact color of the paint was when new, over the years, various environmental factors cause the paint to fade.  How much fading depends on all sorts of factors including exposure to the sun, air quality, etc.

The best place to determine the original color is somewhere, on the inside, where the cabinet has been in contact with the chassis.  If no such place can be found, then the next best place is between the underside of the door, in the top of the cabinet, where it meets the "lip".  With the 75A-4, another place is the overlap between the various panels that make up the cabinet.

Collins Radio was among the better manufacturers where color control of the paint was involved.  However, with any paint color, there can be very slight differences between "batches".  Over the years, I have had a number of "boat anchor" cabinet colors "matched" at my local Sherwin-Williams store and the tint, etc., has always been "spot on" to the sample brought for the matching process.  The formulas for these paints can be found at the following URL:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/4edb6c0bffb65b9ed4051742e683b27d?AccessKeyId=D1250C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Although the formulas were derived by Sherwin-Williams, any good paint store should be able to use them and create a satisfactory paint.  However, I do not trust home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowe's to get the paint mixed properly.  Just go to a stand-alone paint store and pay the extra dollar, or two, and get properly mixed paint.

Glen, K9STH
website:  http://k9sth.net