From: jbrannig via Collins
Sent: Monday, May 20, 2019 10:51 AM
To: Glen Zook; collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Charlie T
Subject: Re: {Collins} 75A-4 touch up paint.

I had a surprisingly good experience at Home Depot.I was repairing a wagon for the kids and wanted to match the red paint on the weathered stakes.HD matched it exactly......and sold me a pint at a good price...It is all computer controlled...Jim Sent from my Galaxy Tab® A
-------- Original message --------From: Glen Zook via Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: 5/20/19  10:37 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Charlie T <pincon@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: {Collins} 75A-4 touch up paint. No matter what the exact color of the paint was when new, over the years, various environmental factors cause the paint to fade.  How much fading depends on all sorts of factors including exposure to the sun, air quality, etc.The best place to determine the original color is somewhere, on the inside, where the cabinet has been in contact with the chassis.  If no such place can be found, then the next best place is between the underside of the door, in the top of the cabinet, where it meets the "lip".  With the 75A-4, another place is the overlap between the various panels that make up the cabinet.Collins Radio was among the better manufacturers where color control of the paint was involved.  However, with any paint color, there can be very slight differences between "batches".  Over the years, I have had a number of "boat anchor" cabinet colors "matched" at my local Sherwin-Williams store and the tint, etc., has always been "spot on" to the sample brought for the matching process.  The formulas for these paints can be found at the following URL:http://nebula.wsimg.com/4edb6c0bffb65b9ed4051742e683b27d?AccessKeyId=D1250C433DB440D6B60D&disposition=0&alloworigin=1Although the formulas were derived by Sherwin-Williams, any good paint store should be able to use them and create a satisfactory paint.  However, I do not trust home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowe's to get the paint mixed properly.  Just go to a stand-alone paint store and pay the extra dollar, or two, and get properly mixed paint.Glen, K9STH website:  http://k9sth.net     On Monday, May 20, 2019, 6:33:25 AM CDT, Charlie T via Collins <collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Yes, there are some drastic differences in what is called "St. James Grey".(Maybe not as varied as Heathkit cabinet greenish gray though. HI)I have personally seen at a "local ham's shack",  four original 270G-?speakers that are very obviously NOT exactly the same as Jim says, in bothtexture and color.Add to that, the effects of sunlight over 60+ years which widens the gapeven further.For example, this can easily be seen by removing a 75A-4's Bakeliteescutcheon and observing the different color under it.That said, I have "restored" a nice, but dull finish, front panel with alight overspray of Krylon Clear Gloss.The panel of my "garbage can" 75A-2 that I paid all of $2 for is evidence ofthat technique.As to the depth of the wrinkle,  ideally, silk-screening should be over aperfectly smooth finish, so the wrinkle depth must be relatively shallow,otherwise the lettering would look awful.73, Charlie k3ICH-----Original Message-----From: Collins <collins-bounces+pincon=erols.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf OfMU 4CX250B via CollinsSent: Sunday, May 19, 2019 1:31 PMTo: bfetters@aol.comCc: collins@listserve.comSubject: Re: {Collins} 75A-4 touch up paint.I've found early A-Line radios to be much blacker, with less pronouncedwrinkles than later radios. I acquired an early 312A1 speaker console a fewyears ago that seemed almost pure black. IMHO, the color on, e.g., my lates/n 75A4, is much more attractive.73,Jim w8zrSent from my iPhone>> Wayne, incidentally I'm not sure that Art painted all his A4's with anidentical match...some a bit grayer and some a bit blacker.  If you findthat the case, contact me and I'll pass along what I do in a case like this.>> Buck> W0LC>*** You are subscribed to Collins as pincon@xxxxxxxxx. If you wish tounsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visithttps://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/collins ****** You are subscribed to Collins as k9sth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx. If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit https://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/collins ***  *** You are subscribed to Collins as jbrannig@xxxxxxxxxxx. If you wish to unsubscribe, or modify your preferences please visit https://mailman.listserve.com/listmanager/listinfo/collins ***